Friday, July 11, 2008

VBS Reflections...

Today I learned that dunk tanks are for the younger-than-me! The truth is, I had a lot of fun letting our kids throw softballs at the target that released me into a large tank of water and they enjoyed it even more than I did. The only issue is that now my backside is more sore than I would like and I'm skeptical of how well I will be walking tomorrow morning. The best thing about it all is that it doesn't matter.

This week we had 47 youngsters in Vacation Bible School - "Beach Party-Surfin' Through the Scriptures" and they had a great time learning about such things as kindness, obedience, and forgiveness. They sang, danced, played, made crafts, and blew off lots of energy in a fun, safe environment. I couldn't be happier inspite of my minor aches. I am so grateful to our dedicated staff of volunteers who managed kids, made snacks, arranged for tonight's beach party, cooked hot dogs, cleaned up, and on and on, ad infinitum. Hooray for dedicated volunteers who love to see happy children having fun.

The great thing about VBS is that these kids really do get it. When you ask hard questions, they know the answers. When you ask them to tranfer knowledge into practice...they understand the connections. It's times like these that make ministry fun and help to make up for the time when we are frustrated by our own ineffective witness. God is good...All the time! Amen.

No comments: